Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Unfortunately, I have trained myself to zone out when the sermon part of church comes around.  It comes from  years as a child of sitting, what I thought was politely in the pew, and not listening.  To make myself listen, I take notes every week.  By the time I teach Sunday School, I don't remember what the sermon was about anymore, but I like knowing I can look back in the notebook if there is something that I need to remember.  

Today's sermon was, obviously, about mothers.  We looked at Proverbs 31 and showed why this is not a checklist to see how you are failing as a mother, but instead an illustrative list (not an exhaustive one.)  So here are the four things that Pastor Kevin pulled out of Proverbs 31 that mark a good mother.  It's four "D" phrases.

1. Dear Old Dad
    -Dad's love and praise your hard work.
2. Domestics (cooking and clothing)
    -Do they keep food on the table and clothes on your back?  (Notice no cleaning in the duo of "C" words)
3. Disposition
    -They show any of these traits:  strength, dignity, optimism, wisdom, and industriousness.
4.  Deity
    -They take time to be with God.

Mom, I'm happy to say I thought of you (and not just because I had to) all through this sermon.  You are all of these things and more, including clean.  Thanks for all you do for us.  You did/do a great job making us better people and we're lucky to have you.  And I hope this post makes up for me not sending you a card.  


Maybe it's because she is my sister (and a good one at that), but I forget that Corrie is a mom too!  Cor, I think I can safely say that you are right up there with mom on these things.  Your kids wouldn't be as smart, good looking, or in love P-Marc without you there.  


So make sure to thank your moms.  I know for a fact that mom has gotten face time or a call from all of her kids, so I think she's pretty lucky to have us too.  And let's hope Kevin preaches something as good on Father's Day.  I don't want to look like I bias here.

2 comments:

Corrie said...

I try to make sure my kids know what is important: God, family, country, and the Wild. I think education is on that list somewhere, too...

Oma Penny said...

Thanks Erin! I am blessed to have all of you kids and a wonderful husband too! Love you lots!