Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chili in a Bread Bowl

Fellow RWHS graduates, tell me this was not your favorite meal the wonderful lunch ladies made.  My wonderful mom made me a lunch everyday, so I never ate it.  But, I remember begging Erin Ulrich for the top of her bowl if she didn't eat it.  Those bread bowls were to die for and the chili (although it's not my favorite) was so good according to those around me.  People waited patiently for Tuesday lunch to roll around so they could indulge in such a delicious lunch.

I attempted to make this lunch for dinner last night.  I wanted to use my new dutch oven while Jon and Faye were here, and show that I can take care of their son by giving him good food every night if I wanted to.  I do want to, I'm just lazy.  So I made the bread bowls, and found a 30 minute chili recipe online.  Bread bowls turned out great.  Chili was a let down, so I won't be making this exact recipe again.

Ingredients
1 yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 lb. ground beef
1 can kidney beans, drained
chicken stock
salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon

Directions
1. Heat some oil in your pot.  I used the dutch oven, but it could be a normal pot.
2. Dice the onions and mince the garlic.  (Check out my new. fancy cutting terms)
3. Saute your garlic and onions for 3-5 minutes, until tender.  Throw in some salt and pepper.
4. Add your ground beef and break apart with a fork or something.  Work around until browned.
5. Add the kidney beans and chicken stock.  Add enough stock until it's the amount of liquid you want.
6. Add some more salt and pepper, to taste.  Then, add a tiny dash of cinnamon.  Taste it and add cumin until it's the taste you want.
7. Scoop it into the bread bowl and sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese on top.



It was okay, but not great.  I liked Todd's vegetarian chili more.  I think I might do that one next time, which has peppers in it and you mash the beans a little to make it thicken up, but add some meat to it.  We're not hippies.  Jon and Faye liked it (or were polite and said they did), so it will have to do.

In other news, we are for sure moving to Chicago next year for Todd to finish Seminary.  It was always likely, but we found out last week he was awarded the Kern Scholarship, which pays his tuition for the next 3 years.  With that scholarship, and not having to worry about taking out loans, it's a definite yes to us moving there.  Our friend Greg also got the Kern, so they will take all their classes together and go on the retreats together.  That means girls' weekend for Stef and me! We also heard back from the housing people this week, saying they should have us placed in an apartment around June 1st.  We can then move in anytime during August.  So, praise God for providing and thank you for your prayers about all this.  Next, we need to find me a job and then we are good to go.  I just need to figure out what I want to do.  Someone told me culinary school.  I told them that doesn't make money, it makes me pay money.  Plus, no.

Anyway, enjoy your RWHS cafeteria meal.  It's super yummy. Also, I talk about Greg and Stef a lot so here is a photo, so you can have a visual.  She looks like Anne Hathaway and is way to good looking for Greg.  But, Greg may be the nicest guy in the world, so it balances out.  (Read into that what you will.)  Here they are at her brother's wedding last fall.

1 comment:

Corrie said...

Yay for a home! You will have your own little urban love nest. I promise to come visit you, but I won't ask to stay with you, okay?

Todd, I'm looking forward to coming back to NP for your next graduation!