Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lemon Bars

It is our staff fun day today and Todd and I signed up to bring desserts. We made an apple pie and lemon bars. I will post the apple pie later because Todd was in charge of that one and I need the recipe from him. It's a Paula Deen one, so you know it's cardiac arrest good. But for now, the lemon bars.

Ingredients

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter, melted

4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5/8 cup lemon juice
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour and confectioners' sugar. Blend in the melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 1/4 cup of flour so there will be no flour lumps. Stir the sugar mixture into the eggs. Finally, stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the prepared crust and return to the oven.
Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.


I have yet to feed them to the staff, but Todd said they were very good and lemon bars are his favorite, so I trust him.

Also, I was thinking about how much we have been baking lately and how much I have gotten to eat all the things we have made. Of the greek cookies, cupcakes, Boston Cream Pie (post coming with apple pie) and the desserts for today, I have gotten a little taste of them all, except a whole piece of the Boston Cream Pie. When thinking about it, I thought I should be outraged. "I make all this food and haven't gotten a decent bite out of any of it." While thinking that, I realized I really don't care if I get to try it. As long as somebody out there enjoys it, I'm good. It made me feel like I could possibly own a bakery without getting fatter (not that I want to own a bakery, but it's nice to know I could.) Anyway, just my musing of the day. Enjoy the Lemon Bars!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those sound really good. I just made the boxed kind this time. Wishing I had made from scratch. Oh well, there's always next time. They smell amazing anyhow.