Saturday, January 30, 2010

Roasted Garlic

I keep hearing about roasting a whole garlic bulb. When I googled it, I was directed to this blog. See for yourself how weird it is.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001712roasted_garlic.php

My initial reaction was vomit in my mouth. I love garlic; we easily go through a bulb a week. But I'm not sure I love garlic enough to roast it and then eat it. But, I'm starting to see the upside or doing this. Here is my list of what I think I could do with it.

Garlic butter spread
Spread on toast with cheese
On cooked veggies
With pasta and bland sauce
Dipping sauce (with olive oil and oregano)
Chip dip (with sour cream)

That's all I have so far, but I think it may be worth trying. I will let you know when I do. Also, let me know if you can think of better uses for it. I feel like mine wouldn't do it justice.

4 comments:

Corrie said...

I've heard it is supposed to get nice and soft and spreadable all by itself...not that I'd ever try it to find out. Wouldn't your whole house smell like garlic?

Joy said...

roasted garlic does get nice and soft. i have done it and it made the best garlic butter. i put it on bread and served it with spaghetti. i don't remember it smelling up the house but i do remember it was very good. it takes on a different, more mild flavor. but, i still used it sparingly.

Michelle said...

Erin, roasted garlic is fantastic. You can also roast the bulbs wrapped in tin foil. I use it on roasted asparagus, roasted zucchini, bread, in pasta dishes, garlic butter and bruschetta(take some ripe tomatoes, finely chopped onion, chopped fresh basil, the garlic, parm cheese and some salt and pepper and mix it together in a bowl. Let it sit on the counter for the day, then spoon it over slices of french bread, cover with mozzarella cheese and pop in the oven for about 3 minutes until the cheese melts. It's great stuff!

Anonymous said...

I've roasted garlic before and it's absolutely amazing! I put it in mashed potatoes and if you put enough, it's that garlic flavor but it's a bit more sweet, not quite so harsh. I really recommend it