Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Did It!

I think I may have had my first cooking experience. All I do is follow a recipe and that is not that difficult. But I think last night could have fallen under the category of thinking up a yummy food and then making it with almost no direction at all!

While in Colorado, I was watching an old episode of "The Next Food Network Star". This show finds a new host of their own Food Network show. It was the winner reveal, so we got to see the pilot episodes of the two finalists. I was glad I caught it because I had wanted to see Melissa's dinner again (I saw it this summer). She made her four step chicken which I then attempted last night. You fry the chicken and then saute some red onions. When they are soft, add chicken stock to make a sauce and pour it and the onions on top of the chicken. It was pretty good. The wonderfulness of this recipe is that you can substitute for any meat, veggie, and liquid. It's a good quick meal.

Where the actual cooking experience comes in was with Melissa's potato poppers. She gives a quick explanation of potatoes in a muffin tin with cheese. So I decided to try it out. Here is what I did.

Grease up a muffin tin pan
Peel and clean a potato
Cut off one end and then slice some thin circles for the bottom of your tins
Cut it in half length wise so when you cut, you get half circles
Cut this slices of potato so it can wrap around a muffin tin
Get a good layer around each tin
Put in the oven at 375 for about ten minutes
Put mozz and cheddar cheese on top and put back in oven
Take them out when potatoes are crispy around edges and cheese is cooked

They turned out okay. I would put some pepper or garlic on them next time. And I totally guessed on the timing and heat of the oven. So try at your own risk, or try to find one on the internet. I'm sure it's out there. But I was quite excited to share my first cooking experience with you.

No comments: