Monday, March 1, 2010

Grilled Salads

First, let me apologize for not having a photo for you. I forgot to take one, and all the grilled salads online look gross.

Second, grilled salads are amazing. My mom and I used to make salads a lot with bag lettuce and cut up chicken nuggets. While delicious (and I would totally eat them again), Todd and I opted for a bit nicer salad.

Ingredients
Romaine Lettuce
Iceberg lettuce (if you want some added crunch)
1/2 cucumber
Fennel seeds
1-2 chicken breasts
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Carrots
Cheese (optional)
Pepper

Directions
1. Cut up lettuce and put in a large bowl so you can toss it all together.
2. Cut up the cucumber and toss them in.
3. Using your vegetable peeler, peel slices of carrot right into the salad.
4. Toast the fennel seeds. Put them in a dry, hot pan and cook them for 3 minutes, stirring them the entire time. Spread them over a baking sheet to let them cool.
5. Cook the chicken however you please. Todd found a good balsamic marinade for ours. I would like to try our leftover rosemary chicken from tonight on it later this week.
6. Mix together even parts balsamic vinegar and EVOO (I hate you Rachel Ray!) and put some pepper in (to taste). Do this in a little jar or something with a lid and shake the snot out of it.
7. Put the fennel seeds in the bowl and toss it all with the dressing.
8. Put it on a plate (or pasta bowls) and serve the chicken on top.
9. Do what you want with the cheese. It's not for me.

It's delicious, nutritious, and fills you up for a while. Make extra chicken or some bread to keep yourself fuller for longer. And it may be a TMI, but have some gas-x on hand.

2 comments:

Corrie said...

You are hilarious. And Rachael Ray hates you, too.

Joy said...

do you have a grill? bbq chicken on a salad is one of my favorites.