Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hockey

I was thinking about hockey a lot this past week with the NHL playoffs well underway. Last night, my wonderful team, the Minnesota Wild, were eliminated by the Colorado Avalanche. It was, to be honest, heart-breaking. I cried a little.
With these thoughts about hockey, and all the reminiscing that comes with it, I was thinking about what professional hockey really is. And I have come to the conclusion that it is a group of guys that refuse to grow up. Yes, they have to deal with contracts, injuries, and being on the road. But when it comes down to it, it is guys that are playing a game they have worked their entire life to perfect and have put their entire hearts into.When I watched the Wild shake hands with the Avalanche after being eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs, I could see along with everyone else watching, that they were crushed, while the Avalanche were gleaming with excitement. These boys were happy to play the game and were sad when it ended. Their boyhood dreams of winning the Stanley Cup were brought one step closer, or ended that night. This game is one of passion and commitment. Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes you are put in a situation where you need to grow as a player and work harder for your dreams.

No comments: