Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Flat Stanley

My 3rd year of college, my roommate was an Elementary Education major.  She had lots of little projects to do that looked like more fun than my exegesis papers.  One of her projects was "Flat Stanley".  This is a project started in 1995 by a school teacher.  You color and cut out this man, Stanley, who is a two-dimensional character. You then make a journal keeping track of all the places you take your Stanley.  You can learn more about it here.

I have seen Flat Stanleys out and around before, but my favorite came just this last year.  My friend Erin and I were at a Wild vs. Flyers game at the X.  During the second intermission, I looked around taking in the great seats Dad has for season tickets.  I look down, and there is this probably 4th grade girl with a Flat Stanley!  She brought him to a Wild game.  Before she could take a picture of him, I snapped one, just because it's so cute.

I love that a kid thought enough to bring Stanley to a Wild game.  I hope my kids are that cute someday. 

Well as you all know, the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup this year.  Mr. Kane, the young 21 year old, got his name written on there (along with Sid the Kid's.  Does anyone else feel they could be doing more with their life?)  So naturally, the Chicago news is still talking about the big win since their last Stanley Cup was in 1961.  But, they have started a great tradition in Chicago.  Instead of "Flat Stanley", they now make "Flat Stanley Cups"!  It's so cute.  And to see something hockey related become a project for the city makes me pretty happy, like I can live in a place for 3 years that values my favorite sport (unlike Mankato.)  To see the story and photos, click here.

Food related news, I'm making a wonderful girly meal for some senior high students coming over tonight.  I'm so excited.  It's three girls that are just so sweet and I love spending time with them.  I'm making the same girly meal I made for Erin the first time she came to visit.

No comments: